I want to use recycled or tree-free paper for my letters. Any suggestions?
Yes! And thank you for choosing to use recycled paper for your Vote Forward letters. You can find recycled and tree-free paper for purchase online, at major office supply stores, or at a local shop that carries printer paper.
Switching to 100% recycled paper that is acid and chlorine free saves :
- 100% of the trees,
- 31% of the energy,
- 53% of the water, and produces
- 39% less solid waste.
It also produces less carbon and methane: The EPA has identified the decomposition of paper as among the most significant sources of landfill methane.
The most environmentally beneficial paper typically has most of the following qualities:
- 100% recycled content, post consumer recycled material
- Made of ‘tree-free’, recycled agro-industrial waste (Sugar Cane, Bamboo, other)
- Elemental chlorine free (ECF) (preferred)
- White or bright white paper stock
- Quality assurance tested to be jam-free for general printer use
- Made in the USA (preferred)
Some great options to consider:
- Mohawk: 100% recycled paper, Acid Free, Made with Wind Power
- Hammerhill Great White: 100% recycled paper, Acid Free, Made in the USA, Forest Stewardship Council certified
- Tree Zero: Made from Sugar Cane Waste, 100% recycled, Acid Free, Chlorine Free, Carbon Neutral
-  “Why Recycled Paper”, GreenAmerica.org, https://www.greenamerica.org/save-trees/why-recycled-paper.
- “How to identify Better Paper”, GreenAmerica.org, https://www.greenamerica.org/save-trees/how-to-identify-better-paper
- “The Global Paper Visions”, Environmental Paper Network, 2018, https://environmentalpaper.org/epn-vision/vision/